When I eat out I want it to be special, consequently I don?t eat out often. You might have seen the advice on how to shave calories at restaurants but really, do you need to pay high restaurant prices for undressed salads and plain steamed vegetables? If not, how then can you solve the dilemma of way too many calories once you eat out?
Here are seven tips for getting the calories out of restaurant meals while still ordering your favorites.
1. Say NO to super sizing. The size you ordered has already been too large. Stop super sizing and you also?ll save money. On top of that, order one dinner and ask for an extra plate. Many restaurants can do this for a dollar or two, also it?s really worth it. Then share the meal with your friend and you split the cost straight down the center. Another option would be to order from the so called ?appetizer? menu. Two people could order three entrees, one dessert and split the whole thing and it?s still a ton of food!
2. Miss the bread and rolls. Many family restaurants still serve a bread basket with your meal. Unless it?s a fresh baked loaf or some really special bread, just skip it. You don?t need to fill up on ordinary bread once you?re paying good money for a meal. Just ask for it to be taken away when you can?t resist, but frankly, you?re an adult, it is possible to resist, to be able to. You can simply choose never to put a roll on your plate. Try it, only once and see in the event that you don?t walk out of this restaurant feeling strangely powerful.
If you can?t miss the rolls, at least miss the butter. That?s right. Eat it plain. Wholegrain bread is delicious all by itself.
3. Stop Ordering Drinks. Soft drinks certainly are a huge cash cow for restaurants. For pennies they sell you a squirt of syrup and carbonated water and act like they?re doing you a big favor by only charging you $1.29 for a giant 64 ounce soda. Start saving those dollars. Especially if you?re ordering ?to go? skip the drink. If you?re consuming it there, ask for water, or at the very least switch to diet drinks. Never drink ?fat pop.?
4. Slow Down YOU TAKE IN Too Fast! What?s the rush? Invest some time, savor the moment, benefit from the flavors. A big section of phoning your hunger signals and understanding how to eat what really will satisfy is learning to recognize the subtle signs of hunger. You won?t know when you?re approaching satisfaction if you?ve gobbled everything down in five minutes. Have a bite then notice how many times do you chew before you start wanting to swallow? Once, twice? Make an effort to chew your food as well as your body will be notably happier. A very large part of digestion begins in your mouth, not to mention you?ll get much more pleasure if you allow food linger.
5. Trim Visible Fat and Skin. I understand, you really love the skin?needless to say you do, it tastes good, it will, it?s pure fat. Do you wish to get leaner, or do you want to eat fat? You select. I never eat chicken skin rather than eat the visible fat hanging off a steak, good taste or no. You need to decide what you want more, the second?s worth of pleasure of a yummy taste, or perhaps a lifetime of carrying around a supplementary 40 lbs? I know this is counter to the low carb crowd?s belief that fat is good, carbs are evil, but I?ve maintained an 80 pound weight reduction for 18 years without dieting and I don?t eat visible fat or skin. Enough said.
6. Ask for a Doggie Bag at the Beginning of Meal. When the food is served, immediately portion off some to take home for tomorrow. Most restaurants in the US serve way too much. There is absolutely no law you must eat it all. Do this frequently and soon you?ll find you?re getting a supplementary lunch out of that meal.
7. Get yourself a copy of Restaurant Confidential by Michael F. Jacobson and Jayne Hurley, and begin checking out how many calories you?re really eating. In the event that you eat out frequently and you also carry additional weight, then that?s most likely the problem right there. This little book can assist you realize why it seems you don?t eat that much yet it is possible to?t lose any weight. Hardees recently introduced a fresh burger that clocks in at only under 1200 calories all by itself! Given that?s frightening.
If you actually want to get a handle on your weight problem, look first to where you eat, second at everything you eat, and third just how much you eat. Sous-marins , What and JUST HOW MUCH? Try these steps choosing one tip at a time, and see how easily you can take a few of the calories out of restaurant food.